Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Quest for more continues

In continuance from the discussion from last week I'd like to discuss again the why of work. And I pose that question to you right now: why do you go to work everyday? Is it habit? Is it for security? Is it for your family? Is it to attain a position? Is it because that's what you've done for the last several years? As with most things I don't think there is one correct answer but it's worth considering. Why do we do what we will spend around 20% of our entire waking lives doing every day?

Here's some thoughts from Guy Kawasaki, Author of Art of the Start and former Chief Evangelist for Apple, on why we should work:



"If you make meaning, you will probably make money."
Agreed.

I've been pondering these reasons lately mainly because I am at the shaping stage basically of how I will live the rest of my life and I've been noticing the need for  balance. As I go progressing through school and learning the principles of business, I am learning that I have to constantly balance and give perspective to those principles by equally indoctrinating myself with truth and religious principles. Otherwise I go flying off course without a direction other than to "make it" or make money, or get the next good job, internship, etc. I am, and I think we all are, in continual need of a reminder and refresher of the why behind what we do.

And if we do examine that I think we may all be a little bit happier with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment